If you don’t need to access your pension pot, you can leave it invested.
This means you can continue to save and your pension pot may grow. But, as with all investments, there’s a risk that the value can go down as well as up.
If you take your whole pension pot in one go, you will pay tax on 75% of it at your highest tax rate for that tax year - which means you could end up with a big tax bill.
There are different ways of doing this depending on how much is in your pension pot.
Watch our video about taking it all in one go for a summary of this option:
You could take your pension pot a bit at a time over a number of years.
There are two different ways of doing this depending on how you want to take your 25% tax-free cash.
Watch our video about taking it a bit at a time for a summary of this option:
You could give all of your pension pot(s) to an annuity provider in exchange for a guaranteed income. Or you can take your 25% tax-free cash first, and then use the other 75% of your pot to buy a guaranteed income.
There are different types of income - and the amount you're offered will depend on the options you choose.
Watch our video about buying a guranteed income for a summary of this option: