No. Genuine self-employed contractors/consultants are normally excluded from the auto- enrolment requirements. In order to work out whether you fall under this category, these type of individuals can send a substitute in their place or are carrying on a business undertaking – ie:
- by taking on financial risk
- supplying tools/equipment
- establishing their own working arrangements
- being paid a fixed fee based on completion
- not being integrated into the employer’s organisation.
For more information see The Pensions Regulator assessing the workforce.