How do I claim higher rate tax relief on my contributions?

If your pension contributions have been deducted from net pay (after tax has been deducted) and you’re a higher rate taxpayer (eg paying 40% tax), you can claim your tax back in two ways:

  • Self-Assessment tax return
  • call or write to HM Revenue & Customs if you don’t fill in a tax return.

If you’re an additional rate taxpayer (ie you earn over £125,140 per year and pay 45% tax on this portion), you can only claim your 25% extra via a Self-Assessment tax return.

If you pay pension contributions via the net pay arrangement (before tax has been taken), you’ll receive your full 40%/45% straight away without having to do anything.

If you have any queries on how to claim higher rate tax relief see

Was this article helpful?

Please score it so we can improve and offer you more

 Members 329 people found this helpful